This corner of my sewing room looked much, much worse than this photo. I know it probably still looks bad to an organized person but it's pretty good for me. I cleaned it up about a month ago by organizing projects in boxes and put some current crafts-to-do in the white square baskets on the floor. The reason I am showing you this "pile" though is because friends and family know I am a 'crazy crafter' and they are always giving me stuff. The WalMart bags were my recent acquisition. I could say no when people try to 'gift' me these lovely goodies but I cant' tell you how many times I've ended up using the stuff. And I always think, "I'll just look in the bag and get rid of the rest." Unfortunately, the bags stay in my room a little longer than they should! So this time, there were some sewing notions like big safety pins, a tomato pincushion, measuring tapes, batting, scraps of fabrics, etc. I really needed to just donate the bulk of it but I didn't at the time.
Fast forward to last night when I was working on the pincushions for the craft show. I wanted to put a small amount of crushed walnut shells in the center of the cushies for weight and to clean burrs off the straight pins. I look in the bag because I remember seeing some very cheap-looking muslin. Perfect! I also wanted to wrap a little batting around these pods and tuck in a little stuffing. In the bag again, poly batting that I would not use for quilting. Again, perfect! he he.....I think I'm on my way to being a hoarder. Those bags aren't going anywhere!!!
Skip forward to 11:30 p.m. and you have seven little round pincushions and three Adirondack chairs. The chairs were courtesy of my friend Peggy. (hoard, hoard, hoard!) LOL
I was really stuck on embellishing these cushies. They needed something more than the big cushion but with them being round, every little thing I added made them look like bonnets. I ended up gluing rick-rack to the base of most of them to cover the space of where the cushion and frame met. That worked to make it look less like a bonnet I guess, because once that was done, the little bow and button accents seemed all they needed.
Except this little brown one that absolutely HAD to have a safety pin on it. :o)
The little blue cushie below was the first prototype and it's a bit smaller than the others. I also thought the little stand piece on the back of the frame needed to come off at first, but the more I made, I liked the idea of them standing up. I cut a piece of black cardstock with my 2 1/2" circle punch to cover the holes where I pulled off the stand. It looked nice and clean after that.
Here's a close up of the chairs. My neighbor that I am doing the craft show with said she saw some little chairs at the fabric store for sale for $10. I told her I had a few Adirondack chairs I hadn't used and asked her how they were made. She said they just had a cushion/pillow type piece and it wasn't even glued on. I made a square 'pod' of walnut shells and a pillow cover and just put in a touch of stuffing. There wasn't much room in that little pillow!
I need to get a few more make-up bags done. I checked my stash last night and I guess I sold more than I thought! Luckily, I have about 6 in the halfway stage so I should be able to finish them up in the next couple of nights. Man....if only I didn't have to work during the day!!! ;o)