Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Stampin' Up! Dresden Plate

I've probably mentioned on here before that my daughter Stephanie is a Stampin' Up! (SU) demonstrator so even though I shouldn't buy so much stamping stuff, I just can't help myself when the catalogs are waved under my nose all the time.  Did you fall for that?  Hmmm, I really need to work on that story.  My husband doesn't believe me either.  LOL 

SU has some dies that can be used with the Big Shot which can be used to cut out fabric as well as paper.  And with that of course, you can make quilt blocks!  They have a scallop square, smaller circles in various sizes and this new one, the Dresden Plate

In talking to Stephanie about the new die and some upcoming classes she wants to do, I told her I'd try to make a block with some SU fabric I bought last year (yes, they have fabric too...I'm telling you, they're killin' me!!).  I don't have an Accuquilt but the Big Shot is very similar, just a little narrower I think.  Anyway, I cut 6 layers of fabric and probably could've cut a few more layers without any trouble.  It cut like buttah!!!  They HAVE to come up with more shapes so I can have more unfinished quilts!  lol 



This is my nice 'little' 17" block!  There are two sizes of blades? on the die and I picked the bigger one.  I'm not sure what the heck I was thinking.  And now I'm not sure what to do with this block.  I did find a really cool pillow tutorial that would be cute.  And I don't do applique so I'm not sure if I'll use fusible to iron this onto a backing fabric or maybe chop off the scallops to sew a border on it?



Honestly though, I don't know what I was thinking when I tried this?  I have a quilt on the design wall waiting for borders, pot holders to make for a gift and umpteen hundred UFO's.  I wonder if I have A.D.D.?  They have medication for that, right?

3 comments:

3anklebiters said...

don't you hate all the new items on the market that make crafting so fun and easy?! dresden plate is in the top 5 of my favorite traditional blocks. yours turned out wonderful.

The Other Barb said...

SU has die cuts that can be used with fabric & also sell the the fabric ? ...didn't know that~ I have to get a hold of a catalog! Love your Dresden plate design.

Hampton Home Staging said...

Nice postt