Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!!



My hubby had hip replacement surgery last Tuesday so I've been a stay-at-home nurse.  No complaints from me as he has been a good patient but I do need to work on him to ask for things when I'm up instead of right after I sit down or climb in bed.  lol  I took two weeks off work but he's doing so well, I think I'll get a little sewing time in this week!  Yeah!!! 



Before my hubby's surgery, I got some sewing time in and worked on these vintage reproduction kitty blocks that I purchased at Road to California.  I also picked up a few of the coordinating prints and made Irish Chain blocks to make the quilt a little bigger.  I love the fabrics by Holly Holderman of Pam Kitty Morning!!  


The only problem I had was the blocks have this adorable little scallop design around them and I didn't want to cut it off.  The booklet for the fabric shows several quilts that can be made with the fabric and if you open up the link here you can see a quilt similar to mine but they cut off the cute border.  The pattern is available (according to the brochure) at McCall's Quick Quilts but I didn't see that until I designed my quilt in EQ7 with my sister.  Anyway, in order to leave the border on, the blocks are some crazy size, like 11 5/16ths or something.  So, I had some bleached muslin that matched the kitty blackground perfectly so I added a small border around each kitty block to make it 12 1/2".  Here is a close up of the block wtih the border. 


I think once it's quilted it won't show too much and even if it does, leaving that little border on each block is worth a little seam showing.  ;o)

On Sunday I went to a card workshop and made that cute heart box (the first photo of this post) so I'll share those beautiful cards with you tomorrow.  There were some pretty ones!

2 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Good choice to keep the scalloped border... it's darling!

Glad to hear your DH is doing so well!

The Other Barb said...

Glad to hear your hubby did well with the hip replacement recovery.