I finished the Dresden Plate! I saw the cutest little doily/topper here and loved it so that's how I did mine, as a topper. I figured since my plate was 17", to me it was too big for a block. My sis suggested using it as a center block for a quilt and make smaller ones around it and I might do that one day but for now, I have so many other projects, I just wanted to make a sample for my daughter.
So, I got some muslin and put right sides together and used a scrap of batting. I sewed around the scalloped edge of the block and trimmed the fabric close to the edge so I wouldn't have to clip the curves. I did clip in the valleys and it was pretty bulky but they flattened pretty good. I turned it out through the hole.
I cut a circle at 3" with my Fiskars Circle Cutter. I hardly ever use that thing but when I need it, it works perfectly every time! I gathered the edge of the circle and put a cardboard circle inside so I could press it for crisp edges. I did a blind hem stitch on the edge. I like this technique in lieu of hand stitching, especially for something like this.
For the quilting, I just stitched 1/8" from the edge of each 'blade' to hold it together.
The back is just muslin. Nothing exciting but I had it on hand and now my little topper/sample for my daughter is done! Yay.
And now it's late, again! Off to bed I go. At least tomorrow is Friday. Woohoo!