Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Rosettes and busywork

Remember these?  It's called a 'pattern'.  :o)  I haven't done any garment sewing in a very long time.  This isn't really a garment though.  It's for a costume I worked on for my oldest daughter.  She wants to be Lucy as in Lucille Ball for the Halloween shower.  I could not find black and white or navy and white polka dot fabric at Joann's (so I could use my coupon) but I did find brown and white.  My daughter said the show was filmed in black and white so Lucy might of been wearing a brown polka dot dress and who would know?  LOL


I keep forgetting to take a picture of the finished dress.  I guess because it is just hanging on the hanger.  I don't need a dress form for as few times as I make clothing.   Also, it didn't come out as full a skirt as it looked in the pattern.  So our "Lucy" will have to add an apron or something to give her a little more gather.  (I'm such an amateur!)

My artsy daughter Kelley has been making logos for friends who are crafty.  She made her sister Stephanie one and then this one for Becca.  Becca is a former co-worker and makes shadow boxes and cake pops.  She wanted a little tag to put on her filled orders.  She is a tanned girl and Kelley captured that with this drawing.  Becca loves ladybugs and wanted a cupboard in the picture.  Kelley printed some of the logos on round labels to get Becca started.  Pretty cute, huh?



With the Halloween shower lurking, we decided to try our hand at making 'rosettes' or florettes, pinwheels or lollipops.  Whatever you want to call these accordion folded circles, we made them.  These measure about 12" and will either be hung behind the food table or put on sticks like lollipops.  I'll try to write up some directions with a picture or two soon.  They're super easy!

We had some small 2" strips left over so I made these small rosettes.  They measure 4".  Kelley thought we should make one more and put a ribbon behind them and use them as a little corsage-type decoration for the moms and bride-to-be.  We replace the spider with a more 'cutsie' decoration.  These have been big on greeting cards and all kinds of decorating.  I want to make more but that will have to wait.


Last night I worked on a box/holder for wedding cards at the reception.  I need to paint it but can't wait to show it to you.  I cut out the shapes with my cricut.  Soooo cute!

No comments: