Thursday, April 16, 2009

Donating and Shopping

I got this little sticker put on my blouse when I went to make a blood donation at the local Red Cross the other day.



I usually donate blood but the last time I went, they said they have been asked by local hospitals to get platelet donations. They are in need. I never did it before so I got a quickie exlanation of what it was decided to go for it. Well, I've done it twice now. I still get this sticker so I thought I would look online to see what it meant. This was from the Red Cross website.


In an apheresis (ay-fur-ee-sis) donation, from the Greek "to take away," donors give only select blood components — platelets, plasma, red cells, infection-fighting white cells called granulocytes, or a combination of these, depending on the donors' blood type and the needs of the community. Apheresis is most commonly used to collect platelets and plasma.

Patient Benefits - A single apheresis donation of platelets can provide as many platelets as 5 whole blood donations. In addition, a platelet transfusion from a single donor greatly reduces the chances of an immune system reaction to the transfusion. Bone marrow transplant, cancer and leukemia patients whose immune systems are already compromised, benefit particularly from single donor platelet transfusions.

Don't you feel edumacated now? lol OH, I almost forgot the most important thing. If you are healthy, over 17 and weigh more than 100 pounds, you can donate too. I am definately over 17 and oh yeah, weigh over 100 pounds.

Remember about that quilt I made for hire. Well, I charged the client $108, (two times the supplies plus 20%) but in my email to her I mentioned that it took me 16 hours and that some people charge $10.00 an hour. Well, she ended up paying my $160 saying that she wanted to pay me for my time. I decided to treat myself to a little shopping at the Brick Basement, an antique mall in downtown Fullerton. I found this adorable little ceramic thimble. It's signed on the bottom "Vi's Thimble". It's really cute and only a couple of inches tall.


And then I got this cute little toy clothespin, clothesline set. I want to paint and gut my little laundry room and think this would be so cute as a decoration in there. Doesn't everybody gut a room, paint and redecorate it, around one small decoration? hehe

1 comment:

Laura-IH said...

Liz, thanks for being a blood donor! That is so important! : ) I love the treats you got for yourself. That little thimble is adorable, and so is the clothesline! : )