Thursday, March 26, 2009

Underexposed Potholders

Flash on.....
Flash off.....

Well, I decided it's better to have a dull pink than an over exposed pink. I'm sure if I would've kept trying, I would've gotten some good pictures but it was late and I was tired. I got the potholders made for my niece-to-be Ashley's shower on Saturday. We've got our Crate & Barrel gift but wanted to add a little something homemade. Her kitchen will be in pink with black accents. How girlie huh? :o)

I found quite a few blogs and websites with good instructions for making potholders. My favorite was this pdf link by Kelly Hogaboom. As a quilter, I didn't really need detailed instructions on grid quilting but wanted some guides to size, etc.
I used a new ruler cutter thingie (that's a technical term, you know?) that both me and my friend Sherrie bought at Road to CA last year. I bought this ruler in January of 2008 and in March of 2009 I used it. Nothing like rushing into anything huh? lol With rounded corners I wanted my binding cut on the bias. I've never done it before but thought this was the project to try it. The ruler worked great and yes, I could've probably done it with any ol' long ruler but this did make it easy. I searched all over the internet to find the name of it but couldn't find any info. I'll post later about the ruler. Here is my miserable picture of the pink "and black" potholders.

And this is what I have so far for her little pink kitchen gifty. I just need a cute bag or basket to tuck it into. :o)
Okay, I turned on the flash and here's the 'brighter' picture. I think Ashley will like the goodies plus the other gift we got her.

6 comments:

greetingarts said...

Very cute, underexposed photos and all. I've got to find the half yard of insulated batting I bought months and months ago (hey, fourteen months to use a ruler isn't so bad, I totally understand!) and whip a few up. Mine look atrocious. Not all sweet and pretty like those.

Laura-IH said...

Those pot holders are adorable, Liz! I love the idea of a pink kitchen!

Angela said...

With all the cute pink appliances out there, it will be a great kitchen. The gifties will be perfect.

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Liz,
Your gifts are so cute, love the pot holders. I made a go-green bag for the last wedding gift I gave. You could make a go-pink bag for your gift.
Keep Stitchen'
Bonnie

Conni said...

What a great gift! Cute personal touch.

3anklebiters said...

adorable. i treasure the recipe cards i got from friends and family as a wedding gift. she will too.