Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sewing Snow Days!!!

Last weekend I went up to Lake Arrowhead (CA) with my friend Susan and her daughter, Nicole.  We were supposed to have a few other girlfriends join us but things happened so it was just us.  I packed enough projects to weigh down even the best of vehicles.  Luckily Susan drives a 4-wheel drive Suburban and it held all of our 'stuff' just fine.  Three tables, two sewing machines, batting, fabric, projects........you get the idea.

We were to have showers here in Orange County, which usually means snow in the mountains.  The condo we were staying at was at 5000 ft. elevation.  It was supposed to snow down to 3000 ft.  We didn't mind at all because we're So. Cal girls and we don't get to see snow very often unless it's on the mountain tops in the distance.  It was quite a treat to get snow for our sew-in.

This snow girl, Honey, was made by Nicole and her eyes, mouth and buttons are from our Honey Bunches of Oats cereal.  :o)


I quilted my Vintage Kitty quilt with my Juki and got the binding all done.  I think I might do one more row of quilting.  It seems like it needs a little more than the SITD and diagonal stitching down the Irish Chain blocks.  Susan made a baby quilt too, for a friend's daughter.  Her fabrics look so cute together.  I should've gotten a close up but forgot. 


After finishing my Kitty quilt, I went on to this project I worked on last year when we went up to Big Bear.  I did get my sashing cut and a few rows done before I put it away for wedding planning.  I was happy to be working on it again. 



And I'm happy to say I got all of the sashing sewed on it.  But....I couldn't finish it because I didn't bring my laptop with the border dimensions in my EQ7.  After I finish putting everything away, I will add borders and work on getting it quilted.  At least the top is "almost" done!!


I did a few more things after putting away the Jared top.  One thing was to sew two Ohio Star blocks for a swap with my sister Isabel.  We're to use 30's and white on white fabric.  I just love this block.  It's so classic.


The only other thing I worked on was some more blocks for a swap but I didn't get to sew any of them.  I've got to get that unpacking done so I can get sewing while I've got my mojo!  :o)

And just because you know you can't go to a retreat without eating some yummy stuff, Susan and her daughter Nicole made Sopes both Friday and Saturday nights.  We were supposed to have something else for Saturday's dinner but they were sooooo good, we just did a repeat dinner! 



You know you can't have Mexican food without having a delicious Margarita!! 


Friday and Saturday we got mostly sleet but by Saturday late afternoon, the big snowflakes started to fall.  It was beautiful.  We took a walk around to the lake.  it was cold with the wind blowing but still pretty.  By Sunday morning, the complex looked like this!  It was the best of both worlds.  Cozy sewing all weekend and beautiful snowfall.

 Now to unpack and finish those projects!!

2 comments:

Susie said...

Hi Liz your retreat looks fantastic especially with the snow and loved the quilts you have completed, especially the table runner. Susie

Conni said...

Oh, Liz, that Jared top is bea-u-ti-ful!!!!