Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Block #7 and Designer Boards

This is block #7 of the Pat Sloan Grandma's Kitchen Sew Along.  It's called Oh My Stars.  I can't wait to finish all the blocks.  I've had some of these fabrics for so long and I'm glad to be using them.  If only it put a bigger dent in the pile(s). :D


A long, long, LONG time ago, I saved a tutorial for making Designer Boards. They make it easier to lay out your block pieces and carry them to the sewing machine.  I usually use my 12 1/2" ruler but Pat Sloan has been using them with her blocks and it made me want to finally make them.  The tutorial is by Lori Holt, Bee in My Bonnet and you can find it here.  Although, page two of the tutorial doesn't show the pictures so if you can figure it out, you're good to go.  








I'm going to make small ones for 6" blocks and smaller and 12 1/2" ones for bigger blocks.  Used a scrap piece of batting.  Glued with the glue gun like the directions "and" I already had a couple of pieces of foam board leftover from the grandkid's birthday parties.



It took a little more binding than I thought for the bigger ones.  About 1 1/2 strips of fabric so I think I'll just make a big long piece like making binding and go from there.


My overlap at the end needs a little work.  Hopefully, the next ones will be better.  At least they'll do the job they're intended for.  :)


No comments: